Sunday, May 30, 2010

Razor Blade Cuts, Phone Boxes, and Hoarder Houses



Life as an Installer can get pretty wild. This post will focus on three exciting things from the past 2 weeks.

1. Nick sliced his leg open by a very unfriendly little razor blade protruding out of his bag. I was not there to witness the event but in his words, "blood just gushed out and down my leg." I saw it later. It was a fairly deep slash. Now fast forward 2 days. Opposite leg, same injury. This time I was there. I couldn't help but laugh, then take a picture, and then use my car's first aid kit to bandage him up. Here's the evidence.
2. R.J. Blocks and Phone Boxes. We install two types of systems: Cellular and Two-Way voice. As you would guess, one uses a sim card, like those found in our cell phones(except Verizon and Sprint) and the other goes through the customer's phone line. I'm still getting a handle on the phone line stuff. Here are a few pictures I snapped and sent to Pete and Nick to get assistance.



3. Compulsive hoarding (or pathological hoarding or disposophobia[1]) is the excessive acquisition of possessions (and failure to use or discard them), even if the items are worthless, hazardous, or unsanitary. This definition is taken from Wikipedia. I have now installed two systems for hoarders. It is both disturbing and a health risk. I have no idea how people live like this. The photos will never do justice for what it is like to step into one of these homes, but here are a few to give you an idea.


Depth of field in this photo is a little challenging. The very bottom of the photo nearly shows the floor. The rest of the picture is of stuff about 3 feet high filling the whole room. "Stuff surfing" would be the only way to enter the room.

I've learned:
1. I don't want to cut my legs like Nick does.
2. I prefer installing cellular systems.
3. I'm grateful I grew up in a clean home(thanks mom) and I want to always live in a clean home.

1 comment:

Diane said...

These clutter photos are extremely disgusting! Makes me want to go throw something away - or lots of somethings. Sorry for Nick. I hope he has figured out a better place to story his blade!