Monday, March 19, 2012

Prius C Update

I have a confession to make:  I went and test drove the Prius C.  The guilt that I was feeling for writing a blog post about the vehicle without ever driving one was too much to handle.  Let me be clear: I really hate the styling of the 3rd Gen Prius as well as the Prius V.  However, the Prius C is really not bad.  It's no looker but it probably won't get you scoffed at.  In fact, many less-informed drivers may very well mistake your Prius C as a Toyota Yaris.*

I drove the Prius C for about 5 minutes.  Part city, part freeway.  The thing is quiet on the city roads, especially on start up.  This is, of course, due to the battery technology being utilized under the hood.  I didn't feel like the vehicle was uncomfortable on the freeway but it was a far cry from the comfy cruiser that my 13 year old Lexus is.  Two years ago I drove my Lexus across the country and was very comfortable.  I'm not sure how confident I am that the Prius C could provide a similar comfortable experience.  But let's not get sidetracked here; you wouldn't be buying a Prius C for freeway comfort, you'd be buying it to save a load of greenbacks at the pump.

To write a more in depth review, I definitely need more time behind the wheel.  I also need to not have a 200 pound sales rep in the passenger seat with me.  The Prius was the definition of slow and uninspiring to drive but shedding that extra passenger weight could potentially increase the fun factor by a hair.  

I may not end up buying a Prius C but it looks like Toyota is finding plenty of shoppers who will.  Click HERE to see how fast these things are selling.


*This is not a confusion you should hope for.  The Yaris is the bottom of the totem pole in the Toyota camp.

No comments: