Thursday, March 8, 2012

iPad: Which one to buy?

Apple announced the new iPad yesterday. It launches in 8 days and is going to be hot, hot, hot.  The biggest questions you face are probably 1)Do I need to upgrade?  2)If I do decide to buy an iPad, which model do I get?

Did I upgrade?  Yes
What will I do with my iPad 2? Give it to my dear wife.
Which model did I pre-order? iPad 32GB Black Wifi.
Why? See below.

Size? 32GB.  With the iPad 2 I recommended the 16GB to most people.  That is going to change.  With the introduction of the retina display on the iPad, app sizes will increase across the board, and even more so in graphic intensive apps.  Since I've toed the line of running out of space on my iPad 2 since I got it, buying a 32GB model will give me some breathing room and allow me to have additional apps with less concern about running out of space.

Wifi only?  Yes.  Do I want a 4G LTE iPad? ABSOLUTELY!  Does it make sense in terms of a good financial decision? No.  The problem I face(the problem all of us connected users are facing) is paying for internet connectivity on all of our devices.  I pay for my iPhone data plan, Nikki's iPhone data plan, and internet at home through Comcast.  The iPad would be one more.  If I were to buy a 4G iPad, I would do one of two things:  1)Not enable the data option on the iPad and thus make it pointless(not entirely, but we won't get into that right now) to have paid a $130 premium for the 4G enabled model or 2)Pay for data and now be paying for internet in 4 different places and creating additional expenses for myself.  I should have tethering enabled on my iPhone within a week or so and will use that when I need internet on the iPad.

The new iPad or iPad 2?  This, like most gadget purchases, is a combination of financial ability and need.*  The iPad 2 is not a bad iPad.  I LOVE the iPad 2.  The fact that it is a great device today doesn't mean it is a bad, outdated, or unusable device tomorrow.  Quite the contrary.  At the price point that the iPad 2 will be sold at, it is a very attractive option for many users.  Is the new iPad preferable?  Of course.  The screen will be gorgeous, camera (I've never really used mine) is much improved, and it has faster graphics and increased performance.  When you make your decision, decide how frequently you will use the device and how long you plan on keeping it.  If you plan on keeping it two years and using it on a daily basis, spend the additional cheddar and get the new iPad.

Here are some great links to some other opinions in the industry:

Marco Arment: Which iPad Should I Get?
The Verge: Verizon or AT&T? 
Shawn Blanc: iPad Event

Enjoy!

*Note: I am far from wealthy but I prefer to spend money on technology/electronics rather than other things.  Every individual has things that they feel are worthy of their hard earned dollar.  For me, this is one of those things. 

No comments: