Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Haiti

Haiti was hit a week ago by the worst earthquake in 200 years. Haiti, as most know, is on the island La Española, which is shared by the Dominican Republic. Here are some random thoughts and remarks about it all.
1. Haitians are amazing people. There are hundreds of thousands of Haitians living in the DR and they are discriminated against and looked down upon as a lower class. Very similar to the racism that exists all over the world between bordering countries. Haitians are super hard workers and make very little. Most would work construction all day long and make 200-300 pesos(which is about $6-$9 US dollars.
2. I read the book Mountains beyond Mountains. Click HERE to see my review on Goodreads.com. It opened my eyes to how poor these precious people are and how "one man can really change the world."
3. I'm back in Iowa. I told Libby that we should donate her kool-aid packets to Haiti. So she kept telling me, "I'll give my packets to Katie." She thought Haiti was not only Katie, but also that Haiti was a little girl. I laughed. I let her believe it.
4. These pictures were very eye opening to the damage done by the earthquake. First the damage and death. Then the looting and chaos. The rebuilding of both structures and lives is yet to come. Click HERE to see the pictures.
5. I've been waiting to buy a pair of Toms shoes. Then I saw on twitter that if I bought a pair, they would donate $5 to the Haitian relief. It isn't much, but it was enough to cause me to buy the shoes now rather then wait till spring. I love Toms business plan. 1 for 1. Take a look. Here are the Burlaps that I purchased.
6. Here are a couple pictures I took on my trip related to Haitians. The first is of of the feet of a Haitian girl we met on the beach. She didn't speak much Spanish but she had a great smile. I could only wonder what she has gone through in her life. The second is of a Haitian man building a house in the rain. He was hoisting cement blocks up to the roof, one at a time.



3 comments:

Julie Ann said...

This disaster really hit me when I found out that my friend Solange who has lived several years in Haiti and has raised her family there, and has relatives that were buried in the earthquake. My heart goes out to her. She still has family and friends still missing.

Diane said...

I read all your blog posts. Great job! Keep it up! I also looked at all the Haiti pictures. Thanks for sharing. Such a horrible disaster that it is impossible to describe. My heart goes out to all those poor people. I continue to pray for them.

argentino15 said...

Muy lindo che. En cuanto a las zapatillas que compraste, en la Argentina se conocen como las alpargatas. Un día te muestro a vos. Pero felicidades por su primera par de Toms. Te van a gustar.