Saturday, December 14, 2013

The First Ever Justin Lake Automobile Winners List

My two favorite Car and Driver and Motor Trend issues both arrived recently: Motor Trend's Car of the Year issue and Car and Driver's 10 Best issue. Here are my winners.


CAR

Compact Car/Hatchback: Mazda 3


As most know, I'm a big fan of wagons and hatchbacks. I love the utility they provide while still providing a car driving experience. Hattie and I put a deposit down on the then unreleased 2012 Subaru Impreza hatchback. Luckily we changed our mind before we plunked down the big cheddar. I love the Impreza for its looks and AWD but the interior, engine power, and MPG are not up to snuff with the Mazda. I think the Mazda 3 is the best looking small car on the market and the hatch version is just a bonus. I hope to buy a used one of these in a few years. 


Midsize Family Sedan: Kia Optima


I drove an SX version of the Optima right after it came out and I loved it. I think it is a heck of a looker, has some serious get-up, and gets great gas milage. And it's not a Honda Accord, so you may actually stand out on the block. 

Small Luxury Sport Sedan: Mercedes CLA


I love this car. It's relatively affordable and it is almost perfectly executed from a design standpoint, both inside and out. Ok, fine, maybe it slopes a titch too much in the back. If they sold the hatchback version in the U.S., I would consider going into debt in order to own one. 

Midsize Luxury Sport Sedan: Audi S6


We are talking about some serious cashola with the S6 but it is pretty much the perfect car. Car and Driver reported a faster 0-60 time in the S6 than they did in the all new Corvette Stingray. That's wicked fast. A very tempting alternative to the S6 is the brand new Cadillac CTS. I really love this car. Especially in Vsport. Yes please. 

SUV

Small SUV: Mazda CX-5


This winner was a little harder to choose. Wins for its good looks, sporting nature, and strong MPG. However, if you were to pick a Subaru Forester or Ford Escape, you wouldn't be going wrong.

Offroad SUV: 4 Door Jeep Wrangler


Our wedding photographer had one of these with the perfect lift and after market tires. I've been sold ever since. 

Midsize SUV: The Audi Q5 and Jeep Grand Cherokee



I couldn't pick a winner. I love both of these SUVs and want to own both. I think they both are gorgeous and well crafted vehicles. The rational buy for the Jeep would be with the diesel engine but the thrilling choice would be the SRT version. As for the Audi, I'd get 3.0 TDI. Got some serious torque. 

Large SUV: The upcoming GMC Yukon Denali


I'm not usually a big fan of these monstrous cars but these thing is a looker. Will be available in 2014 and would be my choice over any of the competitors.

Truck: Ford Atlas Concept


Ok, it is probably not fair to choose a concept vehicle but I was so enamored by the Ford Atlas at last year's Chicago Auto Show that I can't imagine spending money on anything that wasn't this. If Ford deviates too far from this concept for the next generation F150, many manly tears across America will be shed.

SPORTS CAR

Budget Sports Car: Subaru BRZ
My wife doesn't think this is a cool car. I think she's crazy. I love the BRZ. I do think it is underpowered right now and if they were to put an engine with STI like performance in it, this car would be a mini Porsche. Or at least a wannabe, which in this case, wouldn't be a bad thing.


Under 100k Sports Car: Porsche Cayman S
I currently love this car more than any other car in production. It is pretty much perfect in every way. This car is why I dream of having a spare garage with a sports car inside.


Premium Sports Car: Ferrari 458 Italia
This was a tough choice. I love the looks and awe factor of the Ferrari more than any other car. However, if I wanted to "budget" my purchase, I'd opt for the Audi R8 V10 Plus. Yes please.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

It looks like you did a lot of research before finalizing that list, Justin! You showed how keen you were when it comes to a car's specs and exterior designs. You’ve got fantastic taste in cars, especially for sports cars. Anyway, I hope you’ll be able to share a sneak peak on how your car looks like. Have a great day!

Diane Wilson @ Fletcher Chrysler