Saturday, December 1, 2012

Windows 8

I'm a tech nerd.  I listen to The Verge Mobile Show as well as The Vergecast religiously.  I follow the top techies in the industry on twitter and I use Reeder primarily to stay up on the latest news.  Let me just state early: I like Apple products best.  I think Apple has been making the best products and I think they have been the best fit for me.  With that being said, I love technological improvements, opportunities, and new discoveries.  If that comes from Google or Microsoft, wonderful.  Let's have it. This leads into Windows 8 and the new Surface tablet by Microsoft.  It is awful. It really is. I walked into the pop up store they have set up here in Chicago. I tapped on the Internet Explorer app icon. It opened and then was unresponsive, after which I saw a message that said "IE is unresponsive."  I couldn't believe it. First experience.  Instant failure. The rest of the experience went better but the Surface feels heavy and awkward to hold. The screen ratio also doesn't help. It makes SO MUCH sense now why Apple went with a 4:3 iPad back in 2010. I moved on to the Windows Phones. The Nokia 920 is a freaking brick and after using such a thin and light iPhone 5, I would never be able to even consider such a heavy cumbersome phone. The HTC 8X on the other hand was really quite cool. The Windows experience on the phone feels much more comfortable and fitting than it did on the Surface. I'm not sure how I would like Windows Phone after a month or so, but it does have promise. We will see if it survives and thrives.

No comments: